Monday, July 7, 2008

Delay time in submitting to Connotea

Now that we've got ED submitting tagging information to the sandbox graph of the Vrituoso server, in addition to submitting it the ED Database, I've had to put in a delay to prevent the Form from submitting until all the information has been submitted to the sandbox and confirmed that it was successful.

Trouble is... this can take a while since I need to break up a submission into a SPARQL insert statement for every tag since the number types for a tag are variable. making an insert statement potentially very very long.

And if you have A LOT of tags. The wait for a response can get even longer.

I set it at 20 seconds before it times out and an error page is presented to the user.

Before I was able to add up to 6 or 7 tags between 2-4 ftypes each and it would be under 10 seconds. but just recently Ben showed me an error that he got on Entity Describer, that went past the 20 second mark.

I'll have to test the capacity of tags + ftypes I can submit before I have say it's taking too long, but if need be I can analyze how long a tag insert is going to be and start merging them together if they're short enough. Seems a waste to do a 1 tag 1 ftype insert for a whole hTTPPost.


No comments: